BBW Review: Marissa Mayer & Yahoo


A decent corporate thriller. The author sure knows how to storytell. 

To recap, this book narrates the history of Yahoo, its meteoric rise and steady decline, the efforts and decisions in trying to save it.

Anyway, I enjoyed the book. It gave me a lot of insight into how Silicon Valley's elite think and interact, corporate management at the highest levels, and how a successful company can either adapt and succeed again, or fail in a rapidly changing industry. I think I'm one step closer to becoming a CEO myself (hahaha). If you're even slightly interested in business and technology, I'd recommend giving this book a try.

But when reading this, one has to be careful not to overly sympathize with the characters in the story. No matter what troubles they went through, these are still the richest people in the world, the top 0.1%. Mayer herself enjoys throwing lavish parties and pouring money into looking good, despite her hands-on attitude at work. So like any well-written biography or non-fiction, do not treat this as a story where the reader grows to love the characters, but a fun peek into the machinations of the tech elite.

Comments